About I’m Still Standing…
Hello, and welcome to I’m-StillStanding.com- An inspirational blog built on stories and support on how we can all make it through adversity be it health or any facet of life.
My name is Shelley Kramm, known to many as a Mompreneur,“Playground Fairy,” Special Needs Advocate, Speaker, Blogger, Wife (now widow) and Mom to three wonderful people who have helped change the world.
From Designer to Special needs Mom to Advocate to Non Profit Organization Founder to Blogger:
Back in the spring of 1984 I graduated with a Bachelors of Science in Interior Design and Landscape Architecture and a year later married my college sweetheart.
Little did I know what lay ahead:
• Not one but two pregnancies affected by Toxemia/Preeclampsia and the birth of two preemies. My first daughter went on to become a healthy and vivacious young lady who received her Masters from Johns Hopkins in Mental health. She lives in Baltimore with her husband and Bernie, my grand-dog. (Not bad for a preemie that I was told would survive barely and never be able to survive on her-own.) My second daughter was not as fortunate as her life was drastically altered on her 10th day of life when she suffered a bilateral grade 2 bleed in her brain which left her with cerebral palsy and a seizure disorder.
• That’s when the mom became a special needs mom dealing with the world of special education and IEP’s and the world according to those who write procedures… Life with daily medications, blood tests, doctor’s, physical therapists, occupational therapists, speech therapists, conductors, psychologists and special educators, orthotics, and wheelchairs and the world of the “inaccessible”.
• Two years after my younger daughter’s birth my husband, Kenny founded a company to enhance the lives of children by taking the “yuck” out of medicine and I got annoyed that I didn’t have a place to bring both of my children to play-that is when I went from special needs mom to Advocate and founded a 501c (3) nonprofit organization called Hadley’s Park which I ran for about 10 years.
• As a mom of a twenty something year old daughter, I survived the angst of raising a child in the 21 century in a suburban area of overindulged teens who now all have entitlement issues… Lived through our fair share of “mean girl” and jealousy problems that we dealt with which included a bit of “cyberbullying” of a girl whose beauty is as much from within as from her outer appearance.
• In 2007 my husband sold his company and started a new venture, however, it was a very rocky road and did not end very well.
• In 2008 I began a fun venture with my older daughter to keep my mind occupied while I was struggling with anxiety and the beginning of a failing marriage. I was looking to bring women together to work, inspire and grow.
• Through most of my “adult” life I became more of an “emotional eater” and in March 2010 began a “wellness makeover” which is still an everyday process. I successfully lost the 80+ pounds I gained and lost over the years to finally become the healthy woman I once was.
• Last year my life took another crazy turn when I separated from my husband of 30 years, sold our families home and moved out into an apartment with Hadley to start our new life together. Two months after that Hadley had a horrible reaction to her medication and ended up having emergency thoracic surgery almost costing her her life. And as crazy and very unfortunate would would be, 12 days after she returned home her father unexpectedly passed away which threw me into shock for almost a year.
Those are the “highlights” but there is more… a lot more… most of what I have been through might be overwhelming to most people but ya know what? I’m Still Standing!
Why you should stick around I’m Still Standing:
This site is dedicated to helping other people who want to be inspired, who are looking for everything from healthy recipes to stories about overcoming adversity, and realizing we are all “able”.
If you want to read an extended version of our families story click here. You might also like to visit my families press page or to head back to the main page just click here. I am here to help you in any way I can and look forward to hearing from you!
I am glad to meet you and hope you enjoy reading why I am Still Standing!
Subscribe to I’m Still Standing:
Please stay in touch with what Shelley is up to through one of our subscription methods. Also feel free to connect on Twitter, LinkedIn and Join my Wellness Makeover on Facebook. You can always contact me, I’d love to hear from you!