created with: wordle
After creating and running a nonprofit I fully understand the meaning behind a Mission Statement. It should just run off your tongue when explaining the meaning or heart and soul behind your business or in our cases here blogs. However, when was the last time you stopped and thought about your Mission Statement? When I ran Hadley’s Park, our Mission Statement was painted on just about every wall in our offices.
I believe this is an important piece of information that we should each understand for our blog therefore today’s lesson which ProBlogger originally wrote about in his strategic blogging series is about understanding your mission.
‘Why do you exist?’
This is it people, the moment you need to ask yourself “what is the purpose of my blog? What is it all about?”
‘Why do you blog?’
Get ready because today we are going to begin to craft our mission statements. Let’s start by taking a few minutes (or better still a few hours) to ponder this question. What is it that you blog for? What are your core motivations? Be honest as you answer this question because it’s important to nail it down as much as you can as everything else comes from this.
Some blogging ‘missions’ might include:
- ‘I blog to make a living’
- ‘I blog for recreational purposes – to help me relax’
- ‘I blog to keep a record of the life and times of me’
- ‘I blog because I want to help others’
- ‘I blog to because I want to connect with others’
- ‘I blog because it’s fun’
- ‘I blog because I want to build profile – I want to be known
Understand as unique as each of our blogs are there is no right or wrong answer here rather to come up with something that is distinctively “yours”.
So why do we need a Mission Statement?
- Because understanding why we blog then helps us to work out how we should blog to best reach our mission.
- It will keep you focused.
- It will keep your content “original” to you, *stop playing the compare game.
- It will help you keep the type of content you will be proud of.
Today’s Task: post a comment below with YOUR newly crafted or updated blog mission statement below.
Now let’s talk off on our missions…