There are so many choices for meals while visiting the Disney World properties but what a wonderfully fun way to enjoy a lunch or dinner and visit the fun lively crew at the Whispering Canyon which is located in the Wilderness Lodge. If you are in the Magic Kingdom take a boat over or head over to the busses and take a bus to the property.
Let me throw a few cautions to the wind out there if you are looking for a quiet restaurant don’t count on a quiet meal here because the goings-on can get quite boisterous or if you are shy and do not want to have attention brought to you or your family this is not the place for you.
Let me first go over the food at the Whispering Canyon since food is the first thing people usually think about at restaurants. This is an all you can eat “family style” restaurant which means it is served like you would eat at home, on platters, on the tables’ lazy Susan, which is meant to share. I can’t tell you anything about most of the food except the Canyon Skillet which was wonderful! Take a glance at the menu from this spring to give you an idea of the “goodies” from this kitchen. (Yes, I have been known to copy menus and ask for recipes!) Please note I do not work for Disney and Disney has not endorsed this in anyway so the prices or menu options may have changed this is just what it was this spring lunch menu.
Menu Date: March 2009
Western Chips and Dip – Homemade Corn Tortilla Chips with a bowl of freshly made salsa and queso dip $12.49
Mixed Greens Salad – Tossed in apple vinaigrette with tomatoes, cucumbers, and onions $6.99
Southwestern Chicken Soup $6.99
Smoked pork ribs, oven-roasted chicken and pork sausage, served with cowboy beans, seasonal vegetable, creamy coleslaw, mashed potatoes and fresh baked corn bread $17.99 per person ($26.99/per person for dinner)
Roast Chicken – with coleslaw and mashed potatoes $17.99
Vegetable Enchilada – Cowboy beans and quinoa pilaf with grilled zucchini and corn served with enchilada sauce and Tillamook cheddar cheese $14.99
Smoked Chicken Salad – Tossed with maple dressing, blue cheese, and candied walnuts $14.99
Smoke House Stack Sandwich- turkey, ham, bacon, American cheese, lettuce, tomato, with shallot mayonnaise, on focaccia roll, served with grilled vegetable pasta salad or potato chips $12.49
Chicken Sandwich – grilled chicken breast sandwich topped with espresso BBQ sauce, bacon, cheddar cheese and choice of grilled vegetable pasta salad or french fries $13.99
Whiskey Maple-Glazed Trout – Served with an arugula-frisee salad $17.99
Slow-smoked pulled Pork Sandwich – with beans, choice of grilled vegetable pasta salad or french fries, and BBQ sauce $11.49
Angus Chuck Bacon Cheeseburger – with bacon, cheddar, lettuce and tomato, served with choice of grilled vegetable pasta salad or french fries $12.99
Smoked Beef Brisket Sandwich – with chipotle roasted garlic, lettuce, and tomatoes on a ciabatta roll served with grilled vegetable-pasta salad or french fries $12.49
Over the years we have eaten both lunch and dinner at the Whispering Canyon and depending on the season the guys and gals who serve there seem to be more fired up and “in theme” at dinner so this might be your more “entertaining” meal time to eat.
Cast Members at Whispering Canyon dressed in cowboy/girl outfits take on roles like “the sheriff” or “a school marm” and each have a lot of fun with their personas. As I mentioned this is not a “quiet” restaurant as the servers shout at the top of their lungs at times and tease their guests constantly but know this is just to add to the fun!
Now for the entertainment:
• I dare you to wear a Hat or T-Shirt from Universal or Sea World…
• Don’t be surprised if you find yourself in the middle of a spontaneous stick horse race through the restaurant.
• I also remember a hilarious “oath” my daughter took from our server. Very seriously she stood and was then asked to repeat (and promise to carry out) everything the server said including, “I will buy everything I see at the Disney Parks” (my husband loved that one) and “to never, ever, ever visit Universal Studios”.
• When my husband who is known to drink a lot of tea or water kept asking for refills, he was finally brought a 2-pint size jar filled with tea. Then, our waiter invited everyone to join him later “at the pool!”
• Just know that if you happen to answer your cell phone and your server happens to be at your table at the time be prepared for the whole restaurant to shout “Hi” to your caller
• Diners are encouraged to sing and wave their napkins in the air at regular intervals, I hope you can sing!
• I don’t want to give away too much more but I’m going to leave you with one more funny “set up,” go ahead and ask for Ketchup and see what happens!
Remember, if you dine at the Whispering Canyon you have to be in a “good mood” and you must be ready to be teased but also know it is all in fun, and you will laugh and laugh and have many memories to share for years to come.
If you decide you want to give the guys and gals at the Whispering Canyon a try you can always make reservations at 407-WDW-DINE or through your Disney hotel’s concierge or the Guest Relations office at any of the theme parks.
Now getty on up and let me know how they “pulled you in.”